The core piece of the system is a compact measuring head containing:
- A specially designed, very compact micro-focus X-ray tube in metal-ceramics technology
- A polycapillary X-ray optics that produces a micro-spot of primary X-radiation with outstandingly high intensity.
- A compact, high resolution, nitrogen-free XFlash® SD detector with high speed/low noise electronics.
- An advanced sample viewing and analysis spot positioning system.
Portability on a tripod
A mobile, vibration damped tripod carries the measuring head, a motor-driven X-Y-Z positioning stage and the control unit. It enables free positioning of the complete measuring system relative to the object under investigation with a reproducibility of better than ±10 µm.
Fast X-ray tube exchange
The measuring head consists of a central unit containing the detector, the CCD camera and the laser spot. The excitation unit, consisting of tube housing, X-ray tube and X-ray optics, is mounted on the side, fixed by a precision lock, which allows a fast exchange. This enables the user to choose the most suitable excitation sources or target materials and also allows fast exchange of the X-ray optics.
Light element analysis
The ARTAX is equipped with a helium purging system for light element analysis. Using helium purging the measurement range can be extended from that in ambient air – from Ti(22) to U(92) down to Na(11). Using helium instead of vacuum has the added benefit of not endangering the sample, which might not be vacuum-safe. This light element capability allows detection of P(15), S(16) and Cl(17) as well as Al(13) and Si(14), important elements, which would otherwise go unnoticed.
- Improved accessibility of samples due to a more compact measuring head design and an increased distance to the sample.
- Touch sensor for avoidance of damage to the art object
- Improved radiation safety by an additional control terminal for direct access to basic functions
- Three safety contacts for additional warning lamps, door interlocks etc.
- Software control of the helium flow for light element detection and the laser spot for positioning